This meeting has occurred; you can view the video here.
- Our semi-monthly joint (5B06 and 5C07) SMD meeting.
- This is our first meeting since May, after a late cancellation in June and summer recess.
- Due to a Woodridge Library’s current early hours, this meeting will be entirely virtual, unlike our meetings earlier this year.
- Any other community updates or suggestions welcome; agenda below
This is a joint meeting of SMDs 5B06 and 5C07 to be held on 09/27/2023 starting at 7pm. The meeting will be all virtual over Microsoft Teams, as Woodridge Library is still closing at 8pm.
Single-Member District meetings are:
- optional outreach efforts by Commissioners
- per cultural norms, a precondition to bring official actions to 5B and 5C
- a chance to discuss issues with their immediate constituents
- not a venue for any official actions
- more common in some parts of DC than others
Why are these joint meetings?
Commissioner Piekara and I do joint meetings because our community is split down the center by the Commission boundary along Rhode Island Ave, the epicenter of our community’s housing production, retail/commercial activity, and street safety issues. Most obligatory ANC casework in our SMDs is shared by ANCs 5B and 5C with both being affected/party ANCs; having a joint meeting provides cross-pollinated awareness of both Commission’s activities and avoids redundant meetings on the same topics.
There will be no physical location for September.
Virtual Connection Details
The meeting will be available virtually on Microsoft Teams.
Join on your computer, mobile app or room device
- Click here to join the meeting
- Meeting ID: 223 651 184 26
- Passcode: yCndRL
Notes for folks there virtually:
- Mind your mute and video-off buttons; opening access is consent to be recorded and made part of the meeting record
Or call in (audio only)
- +1 206-420-0854,,955959030# (United States, Seattle)
- Phone Conference ID: 955 959 030#
Feel free to reach out if you have suggestions for this agenda! Given the informal nature of of SMD meetings, this agenda is flexible and may change anytime.
- community updates
- an update on 1800 Hamlin St NE (ZC 23-18)
- reserved disabled resident space on 2400 block of Girard Pl NE (DDOT NOI-23-194-TOA, Commissioner Kapur’s draft response)
- alcohol/cannabis matters
- DC Xtracts (new cannabis manufacturer, submitted, not yet placarded)
- New Neighborhood Market (renewal, ABRA-117177, protest deadline 10/24)
- Aurora Market (renewal, ABRA-124890, protest deadline 10/24)
- public comments/questions
The following text will echo my own submission on this Notice of Intent. Feel free to adapt for yourself and neighbors to encourage more submissions:
I live nearby at (address) and I’m writing to support the subject NOI to install a reserved parking space for the Cruz residence. As it’s essential that this space be placed as close to the residence as safely possible, I ask that the newly installed “no parking” area be reduced and the no-longer-in-use curb cut at the partially demolished adjacent property be removed to accommodate the reserved space.
I can’t guarantee perfect conveyence of information to every stakeholder on every occasion, but I do my best to both diversify outreach and log all of it for auditability. I’m also available through the contact methods on the footer of this webpage.
|routine scheduling||This is the recurring 5B06/5C07 meeting on the month’s fourth Wednesday; meetings on this date and time should be expected|
|website||This meeting information page was first posted to this website on 9/23/2023 around 10pm ET; it’s also linked from the embedded (and subscribable) 5C07 calendar and from the 5C website.|
|social media||I posted about this to Twitter, the Brookland DC Facebook group, the Woodridge DC Neighbors Facebook group, and Nextdoor, specifically calling out the 1800 Hamlin matter each time.|
|direct email||This meeting was mentioned in the 5C07 September update email. I mention meetings in my monthly newsletters which I try to dispatch a few days before the Full-Commission meetings (around ten days before joint SMD meetings), though this one went out a week later than that goal; subscribe now if you haven’t!|
|paper flyer||This meeting is included in my September dispatch flyer as well as the single-issue flyer for 1800 Hamlin, which was distributed around the project site door-to-door shortly before the meeting.|