This is an expected future development with no active plans or cases.
- 2001 Rhode Island Ave NE is a 14,810 square foot lot at the southeast corner of 20th and RIA
- Local Teamsters union chapters most recently occupied the building currently on the site
- The building was sold in late May to July Residential, which has indicated an intention to redevelop the property
- The developer is skeptical of building retail on the site in addition to homes, but I’m working with various community groups to make the case for retail
- Without any zoning relief, there could be around 50 homes developed on the site, and this would not involve any community input; I strongly believe this would be a wasted opportunity to build more homes and other community-serving amenities
- The Public Space permitting process will also give us a chance to advocate for benefits like wider and safer sidewalks around the property
Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Map
The site is categorized as Residential Moderate Density (RMOD)/Commercial Moderate Density (CMOD) in the Comprehensive Plan’s Future Land Use Map (FLUM). It is currently zoned MU-4.
I can’t guarantee perfect conveyence of information to every stakeholder on every occasion, but I do my best to both diversify outreach and log all of it for auditability. I’m also available through the contact methods on the footer of this webpage.
|tracker||This building was added to the Real Estate Development Tracker on 1/27/2023|
|website||This info page was first posted to this website on 3/19/2023|
|meetings||See below for Meeting History|
|social media||Laura K. made a post about this project on 5/27/2023 in the Woodridge DC Neighbors Facebook group, where I shared this page and some thoughts in the comments|
|3/22/2023||SMD 5B06/5C07||The upcoming sale and strong community desire for retail was briefly discussed.|
In the Media
The sale was covered briefly in a 5/26/23 Bisnow piece.